Depression affects a lot of people. This is why it is often referred to as the common cold of psychological illnesses. We may feel down and lonely from time to time. However, when the feeling of misery and emptiness take hold on you and won’t go away, chances are you are suffering from depression. When you are depressed, enjoying life and doing your daily activities can be so difficult. Even simply going through the day could be tough. But no matter how depressed you feel, it helps to know that things will be just fine. And the first thing you need to do to get better is to understand the signs, causes and treatments for depression. Here are some of the common signs of depression.
1. You are fearless and extremely confident – Some depressed people may act differently from how they truly feel. Psychologists call this escapism and it is common among over-achievers. Engaging in intense activities such as taking over a rival company or resigning from work to build a new business makes you feel invincible and powerful. But deep inside you’re really scared and insecure. Aside from being born with biochemical imbalances, the common cause of depression is the feeling of vulnerability and losing control. High achievers hate these feelings and they will do everything to prove that they are not powerless.
2. Alcoholism – Among the most common things that people do to drive away their emotional pains is drinking alcohol. Unfortunately, using alcohol as anesthesia to endure the pain you’re feeling, it is most likely that you will end up with two disorders.
3. You lose interest in the things you normally do – Depression may cause you to lose your ability to enjoy life. And you forget the simple things that make you happy such as doing your hobbies, pastimes and other social activities.
4. You work harder but not smarter – Depression makes it difficult to find appropriate solutions even to simple problems. Rather than finding a way to get to the root of what’s bothering them, they tend to do away from the right solution and do more of the same things repeatedly. For example, those who are having marital problems are often caught spending too much time at the gym instead of going through a relationship counselling in Melbourne. This is because the extra time they spend in the gym shortly lifts their spirits. But once they’re out of the treadmill, they realize that the problem is there.
5. Acting inappropriately to certain stimuli – When your behavior is emotionally in conflict with the stimulus that triggered it, you may be suffering from depression. For example, crying when the situation calls for laughter or laughing when you should be crying. The absence of appropriate feelings could make it hard for you to control your emotions.
When you notice that you have some of the symptoms discussed in this article, don’t hesitate to ask for professional help or have a neuropsychological assessment Melbourne.